Weekend Trips

With the Easter weekend just gone by, I have managed to squeeze in a handful of good ride-outs, of moderate distance.  I'm really getting much more comfortable with Gretchen, and I'd like to think she's getting used to me!

The weekend just gone allowed me the luxury of two rides.  At this point, I'm avoiding group rides; I've heard too many stories about testosterone taking over, and the very worst of male competitiveness leading to unfortunate incidents.  In fact, the last time I had a proper "off" was back in the early 80's, on a group ride, with about 10 members of my peer group.  Lesson learned....

So this Saturday just gone, I met up with  my mate Scott and his 2018 R1200GS TE.  No envy at all...  We crossed the levels, ran up through Glastonbury, Wells and then headed to Brean via Cheddar.  I don't think either of us were quite prepared for how rammed Brean was.  Bank Holiday weekend, and the Midlands' seem to empty onto the coast. 


We caught a light lunch, and then wondered onto the beach for a nice relaxed cigar, before beating it home to avoid the incoming rains.  A nice gentle 75 mile jog to blow out the cobwebs.

Bank Holiday Monday see's my mate Jez and his 2008 R1200GSA "Beastie" accompanying me for a gentle run around the inner parts of North Devon.  We wanted to avoid the worst of the traffic, and the weather was a bit on the moist side, so we set sail for South Molton, via Tiverton & Crediton, snaking our way up the A3072 and then the A377, running alongside the famous Tarka Line.  It's a lovely route, allowing you to enjoy a mixture of climbs, tight corners, sweepers, and then descents, with just enough in the way of straights between the twisties to get past cars and agricultural traffic.  Not that there was much traffic....

We diverted off the A377 up the Mole Valley, looking for somewhere to grab a bite of lunch.  Google told me we were close to a biker friendly cafe; unfortunately, every time we pulled the phone out for directions, we ended up in the middle of nowhere!  So, we looked for the middle of nowhere, and within 5 minutes, found a quiet pub with the best value all day breakfast I have had in a very long time....

All this for less than £8.......

By the time we had worked through the mountain of food, and a couple of equally huge mugs of tea, the weather had dramatically improved, and we headed for home, having put over 110 miles on the bikes.

The most important thing I am getting out of these rides, is more experience riding a big bike, and increasing confidence in my abilities to pilot it safely and swiftly.  I've now put about 400 miles on Gretchen's clock since starting to ride again, and I feel like I am making solid progress.

Next step, is some longer solo rides, and perhaps it's also time to try out the panniers, and get used to riding with them attached?  Let's see what the next couple of weekends allow us to do!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wonderful Wales

Barcelona Part 1 (Plymouth to Barcelona)

My Bikeground