Camping, Luggage & Falling Off-road

It had to happen sometime.  But I'll get to that later....

Scott & I have planned a Bike Camping trip to Ireland, so we need to shake down the gear, and get some practice in.  So the week before we leave for Ireland, we ride into deepest North Devon, heading for a piece of woodland that Scott & Hannah have recently purchased. It has the advantage of dirt tracked access, so we will be able to try the bikes off-road as well, a first for both of us with the GS's.

But first, we had to get there.  This was my first time riding with panniers & a dry-bag, so I was quite trepidacious to start with.  I could really feel the extra weight at slow speeds, and cornering was much slower on turn-in.  But after 5 minutes crawling across town, I was starting to get the hang of it. We met up at the local Pizza Hut, and immediately headed out onto the M5.  Once at motorway speeds, it was the wind resistance that took precedence.  Gretchen didn't seem remotely phased by the additional weight, and continued to pull like a train when called upon for overtaking.  It didn't take long for us to get off the motorway, off the A roads, and into the wooded valleys.  Within the hour, we were tackling the two padlocked gates that lead into the woods, and onto the dirt tracks.

Despite the fact that both bikes are shod with street rubber, they are surprisingly sure-footed on the rutted stone & dirt, and even the bend by the stream, where the track was very wet, they didn't put a foot wrong.  We were both really impressed.  Riding a few hundred metres past Lightleigh Wood, we turned around, and parked on a moderately level piece of ground just off the track, pointing gently downhill.


We set up camp at a very leisurely pace - after all, it was only midday, and we had everything we needed to hand.  We were going nowhere!  The afternoon warmed up, we grabbed our camping chairs, broke into the beers, and settled in for a lazy afternoon of doing nothing much...


Sunshine & Beer are a magical combination.  As the afternoon wore on, we got gently sozzled, and talking nonsense became the norm.  I don't think either of us have experienced such a relaxing, undemanding day for years; watching the sheep in the adjacent field, the late afternoon rece flight by the pair of Buzzards nesting less than 50 metres away, and the birdsong!  Ah, bliss. 

When we had arrived, I had hung a selection of seasoned flat iron steaks in the branches of a nearby tree to air dry - most packaged meat is far too wet and slimy these days, so a few hours in the sunshine before popping them on the griddle is just perfect.  If you don't believe me, try it!




Needless to say, they were delicious. Supper over, we repaired to the edge of the woods, to watch the sunset, and enjoy a cigar each, whilst watching the world get ready for bed.  More putting the world to rights, and planning the purchase of a nearby hostelry to convert into a brewery.... like that's actually going to happen!  Well, I suppose it might...


As the stars came out, so did the music.  There's something quite primal about letting your eyes adjust to the dark in a natural woodland, where the nearest street lighting is over 4 miles away, over hill and valley, whilst listening to 80's & 90's metal - the music of zombie movies!  "Fear of the Dark" anyone?


As is normal, I woke early.  I always do first night camping, so a need to get up and get going at 06:00 isn't unusual.  Ablutions complete, the need for coffee and food takes precedence.  Scott had bought the largest packet of sausages he could get hold of, which made for a very filling breakfast!


All that remained was to pack up, and set off for home.  What became apparent, is that I am still a bit of a disorganised camper, in that I rather stupidly seem to unpack everything, and then (obviously) make a bit of a meal of packing back up, so I take at least twice as long as Scott breaking camp!

Bikes (eventually) loaded up, we prepared to leave the woods.  And it's here dear reader, that I suffered my first experience of dropping the bike off-road!  I started the engine, and swung my not-inconsiderable bulk over the tank, to move the handlebars so I could get a good swing at the seat with my leg.  What I had failed to take into account, was that Gretchen was tilted slightly down hill, and as I swung over the tank, the side-stand folded up underneath her, dropping her onto her left hand side!  I have no idea how I managed, but I threw myself clear and ended up running a few metres down the bank.  I stayed upright - well, on two legs anyway - whilst she settled at a 45 degree tilt against the soft bank at the side of the track.  Scott gave me a hand pulling her upright - surprisingly easy with the two of us.  Amazingly, no damage done, with the SW-Motech crash bars taking the full brunt of the muddy turf......

On the way back home, I lead the way back via the A377.  Scott noticed that my brake lights seemed to be staying on, which was obviously concerning.  A little bit of in-flight fiddling brought to light the fact that if I pushed the brake lever forward with my fingers, the light cleared.  At this point it seemed that the micro-switch on the lever might need some attention.  A quick visit to Graham's Motorcycles the following lunchtime, brought to light that the actual reason was that I had dislodged the barkbusters when pulling the bike back upright, and the brake lever could not fully extend!  Two minutes of adjusting and re-tightening with a torx bit and all was well!

So, with the shake-down complete, just have to get ready for the trip to Ireland next weekend!  Woo hoo!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wonderful Wales

Barcelona Part 1 (Plymouth to Barcelona)

My Bikeground